How to generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file in Microsoft IIS 5.0 or 6.0 without removing the existing certificate
To generate a new CSR without removing the current certificate, a temporary website must be created. This workaround will apply for IIS servers that currently have certificates installed, but a new CSR (with different information in the Distinguished Name) needs to be created. Creating a temporary website allows you to keep a current certificate active on the site while another certificate request is pending.
Step 1: Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file without removing the existing certificate
- Click Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- Right-click Web Sites
- Select New > Web Site
- The Web Site Creation Wizard will open. Enter Temporary as the web site name > click Next NOTE: In the Wizard simply bypass all settings by clicking Next. However, you will need to specify a path. The directory you select is completely arbitrary and will not affect the CSR generation.
- Click Finish NOTE: The temporary web site does not need to be started for this process.
- Right click the temporary site > select Properties > Directory Security > Server Certificate
- Select Create a New Certificate NOTE: When generating a request, the IIS 5 Wizard will pre-populate the Distinguished Name fields (Organization, Organizational Unit, etc.). Do Not accept these. Delete the pre-populated entry and enter the details again based on the existing certificate information contained in the Subject field.
- Click Finish
Step 2: Install SSL certificate
Once you receive the new certificate, save it in notepad with the extension .txt, then:
- Right-click the temporary site > select Properties > Directory Security > Server certificate
- Select Process the Pending Request
- Complete the wizard to install the certificate
- Right-click the production site > select Properties > Directory Security > Server certificate
- Select Replace the current certificate NOTE: If there is no certificate installed on the website, select Assign an Existing Certificate
- Select the certificate that you have just installed > click Finish
- Stop and Start the website